Philippines prepared to ‘go to war’ if troops harmed in South China Sea
Share this on

Philippines prepared to ‘go to war’ if troops harmed in South China Sea

REFUTING domestic criticism that of its soft stance on China’s militarisation of the South China Sea, the Philippines said it was prepared to go to war with the country if any of its military personnel are harmed in the disputed waters.

National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon said the Philippines would always try to pursue talks to defuse tension, but war could not be ruled out as a last resort if its military was provoked or aggrieved.

“The other night, the president said if his troops are harmed, that could be his red line,” Esperon told reporters.

SEE ALSO: Philippines takes ‘diplomatic action’ after China lands bombers on islands

President Rodrigo Duterte has taken flak in recent weeks for not confronting Beijing following news that China had installed missile systems on artificial islands in the busy waterway, including areas within Manila’s Exclusive Economic Zone, according to Reuters.

Political opponents are outraged at his government’s failure even to lodge a diplomatic protest, but Duterte, unlike his predecessor, enjoys good relations with Beijing and wants its investment, often saying he cannot afford to go to war with a far superior China.

2018-05-22T123215Z_888252036_RC17745AF990_RTRMADP_3_PHILIPPINES-DEFENCE

Members of the Naval Special Operations Group jump off from a helicopter as part of their capability demonstration during the Philippine Navy’s 120th anniversary in Metro Manila, Philippines May 22, 2018. Source: Reuters

Esperon said the Philippines is building five lighthouses on the Kalayaan Group of Islands, a feature of Spratlys in the West Philippine Sea which is claimed by Manila, according to ABS-CBN News.

“We note with serious concern the growing militarization in the area, such as the deployment of military assets, especially on features near the Philippine territory,” Esperon said.

SEE ALSO: Philippines: Duterte government’s public satisfaction rating drops   

The remarks echoed Monday’s comments by Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano to foreign service members that Duterte had told China he would not allow any unsanctioned construction in the Scarborough Shoal or resource extraction in areas where the Philippines had sovereign rights.

China claims most of the South China Sea, through which about US$3-trillion worth of goods passes every year. It has made substantial progress in fortifying its manmade islands in the past few years, which it says it has the right to defend.

Last week, the Philippines expressed “serious concern” over the presence of China’s strategic bombers in the disputed waters, but its response to the installation of missile systems was muted.