Indonesia: 4 samurai sword-wielding men shot dead by police
Share this on

Indonesia: 4 samurai sword-wielding men shot dead by police

WIELDING samurai swords, four men who attacked the Riau police headquarters in Pekanbaru, on the island of Sumatra on Wednesday were shot dead, police said.

According to CNN, the individuals crashed a vehicle into the entrance of the police station and began attacking officers, National Police Spokesman Setyo Wasisto said.

He said police shot and killed the four suspected terrorists.

Wasisto said the driver has been apprehended and was now being detained at Riau Police Precinct.

SEE ALSO: Indonesia: Fifth bomb blast in two days in Surabaya

Police found the van not far from the location of the attack and searched it for possible explosive materials, Reuters reported.

The men had driven their car into the police yard before getting out to stage the attack, Setyo told a briefing.

Two officers were wounded in the attack, while another was killed after one of the perpetrators tried to escape and crashed into the officer, he said.

“The one who escaped has been captured and secured at Pekanbaru police station,” Wasisto said.

The spokesman said that a journalist who had been at the police station was also hurt after being hit by the car.

2018-05-16T044817Z_316335418_RC110F84A970_RTRMADP_3_INDONESIA-SECURITY

The bodies of two attackers who were shot and killed are seen at the entrance of a police station in Pekanbaru, Indonesia May 16, 2018 in this photo taken by Antara Foto. Source: Reuters

Earlier, an internal police report said that one of the dead men had a suspected bomb strapped to his body. Wasisto did not comment on this.

TV footage showed one man lying on the ground with a long sword next to his body and an armoured car stationed outside the police station.

A police spokesman in Riau said they had not identified the perpetrators yet or determined their motive.

But the attack comes after a series of suicide bombings by Islamist militants targeting churches and a police building in Indonesia’s second-biggest of city of Surabaya over the past few days.

The suicide bombings, involving families with young children, and an explosion at an apartment where militants were suspected to have been constructing bombs have left around 30 people dead, including 13 suspected perpetrators, police said.

The attacks are the worst in the world’s biggest Muslim-majority country since the bombing of tourist-packed restaurants in Bali in 2005.

SEE ALSO: ‘Dark forces’ of intolerance spreading in Indonesia, say parliamentarians 

Police suspect they were carried out by a cell of the Islamic State-inspired group Jemaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD), an umbrella organisation on a US State Department terrorist list that is reckoned to have drawn hundreds of Indonesian sympathisers of Islamic State.

In a message carried on its Amaq news agency, Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Surabaya.

After some major successes tackling Islamist militancy since 2001, Indonesia has seen a resurgence in recent years, including in January 2016 when four suicide bombers and gunmen attacked a shopping area in the capital, Jakarta.

Additional reporting by Reuters.

Topics covered: