Malaysia, Thailand agree to sign border fence pact
Share this on

Malaysia, Thailand agree to sign border fence pact

MALAYSIA and Thailand will ink an agreement to fence up their porous borders in a bid to stop smuggling, trafficking and trespassing activities that have continued unabated for decades, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said.

According to Bangkok Post, Prawit, who was in Malaysia to discuss security cooperation with his counterpart Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, said the Memorandum of Understanding will also include a commitment by both nations to work closely on solving transnational crime and problems concerning dual citizenship.

Malaysian media reported that during the bilateral meeting, Thailand also approved Malaysia’s application to extradite 10 Thais believed to be responsible over 100 graves of human trafficking victims that were discovered in the border village of Wang Kelian, Perlis, last year.

SEE ALSO: Malaysia finds 139 graves of suspected Rohingya trafficking victims

“The extradition will allow us to take the culprits to court. We don’t want the international community to have this notion that Malaysia not only condones but also partakes in trafficking.

“We certainly don’t tolerate such heinous crime against fellow human beings,” Ahmad Zahid was quoted as saying in the New Straits Times.

Meanwhile, Prawit, who was speaking to the media today upon his return to Thailand, also reportedly reiterated that both Thai and Malaysian police are working together in the investigation into the spate of bombings in seven provinces earlier this month.

SEE ALSO: Thailand: Authorities release list of victims of twin Hua Hin bombings

It was previously reported that Thai authorities had sought cooperation from their Malaysian counterparts after it was discovered that a mobile phone found at one of the bombing locations in Phuket had originated from Malaysia.

The device was partially destroyed in the blast, but the part bearing the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission’s (MCMC) serial number was still legible.

Prawit, in Bangkok Post’s report today, also revealed more details on plans to set up a “government forward command” to handle the violence in southern Thailand.

He said 10 people with experience in dealing with the unrest in the south will be selected to head the command, adding that they could be civilians or soldiers but not state officials.

SEE ALSO: Thailand: PM Prayuth orders tighter security after 8 bombs kill 4, injure dozens

The command will aid Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha when dealing with security matters involving violence in the south.

In the coordinated Aug 11 to 12 attack, four Thai people were reported killed and dozens of others wounded, including foreigners, when bombs were set off in various tourist towns south of Bangkok. Many analysts believe the attacks were carried out by Muslim separatists who have waged an insurgency in the south since 2004.