INDONESIAN authorities have increased security at the popular resort island of Bali following reports over the weekend of a recently-thwarted terrorist attack.
“In connection with information about a terror arrest and a planned action in Bali, we are increasing security at all points of entry into Bali,” said provincial police chief Sugeng Priyanto, as quoted by Reuters.
Priyanto added that the police would also focus their attention on monitoring the small ports spread around the island, in addition to informal points of entry.
According to anti-terror police, an investigation is currently being carried out as to whether the suspect arrested last week for ties to previous terror attacks was in the midst of plotting one in Bali.
Police discovered a bomb and “high (impact) explosive materials” after conducting a raid on the suspect’s house.
National Police spokesman Agus Rianto told the news wire via phone: “The suspect told us in a statement that they were planning an attack in Bali but there are no details or timeline.”
On August 15, a man with alleged ties to Islamic State (IS) was arrested in Sumatra. Police were looking into the suspect’s involvement in a suicide bomb attack early last month at Surakarta police station.
Rianto said the suspect aided in the attack by transporting explosives from where he lives in Lampung, a province northwest of Jakarta, to Surakarta in Central Java, also known as Solo, reported the Daily Mail.
Bali saw its deadliest terror attack in 2002, involving a nightclub bombing that killed over 200 people, mostly Australians, who throng to the island in droves. The attack was later found to have been perpetrated by local radical militants.
Police are now concerned that a similar incident may happen, in view of the rise of radicalism in the region due to IS influence.
In January, a shootout and bomb attack took place in the capital of Jakarta, killing eight people, including four IS-linked insurgents.