Malaysian nightclub bomb attack linked to Islamic State, police say
Share this on

Malaysian nightclub bomb attack linked to Islamic State, police say

MALAYSIAN police have confirmed that a grenade attack at a nightclub near Kuala Lumpur last week is linked to terrorism activities in what could be the first attack to be carried out by the Islamic State in the country.

Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said 15 people have been arrested for terrorist links recently, of which two were suspects related to the attack on the Movida nightclub in Puchong, Selangor on June 28.

“Based on our investigations, we found there is truth to the involvement of IS elements in the incident,” Khalid told reporters in Kuala Lumpur this afternoon, as quoted by MalaysiaKini.

Eight people were injured in the attack, which took place in the early morning. Four men and four women, including a female Chinese national, were reportedly injured in the incident.

At the press conference, Khalid also released the images of another two suspects and appealed to the public to provide information on their whereabouts.

The police had earlier denied that the blast was linked to terrorism, but said today that an individual claiming to be  from IS has claimed responsibility for the attack.

SEE ALSO: Malaysian police: No terror links to nightspot bomb blast that injured 8

Initially, there were conflicting reports on the explosive device used to carry out the attack, with some saying it was a grenade, while others said it was a petrol bomb. Police initially suspected that the incident was gang-related.

A witness said two men were seen hurling an object towards the crowd seconds before the explosion. The assailants sped off in a vehicle after throwing the grenade.

Although the nation has seen a spate of gun violence in recent weeks, bomb attacks are extremely rare.

If confirmed, the recent attack could be the first one that IS had carried out on Malaysian soil after making repeated threats throughout the year.