TEENAGE Hong Kong protest leader Joshua Wong has been found guilty of taking part in an illegal rally that triggered pro-democracy street protests largely led by students two years ago.
The 19-year-old Wong tweeted Thursday that he “was found guilty of the charge of participating unlawful assembly by court of Hong Kong.”
A magistrate’s court handed down the verdict for Wong and two other student leaders following a trial earlier this year.
I was found guilty of the charge of participating unlawful assembly by court of Hong Kong.
— Joshua Wong Chi-fung (@joshuawongcf) July 21, 2016
The three were charged with storming into a courtyard known as Civic Square at the Hong Kong city government complex on Sept. 26, 2014.
Huge crowds of demonstrators turned out to demand their release after they were detained by police, who responded two days later with volleys of tear gas.
According to the South China Morning Post, Wong said he did not regret the unlawful storming of government headquarters two days before the pro-democracy Occupy movement began.
“We do not regret what we have done,” Wong was quoted as saying before the hearing.
“Because of our actions, the Umbrella Movement started,” said fellow protester Nathan Law.
Early last month, Wong was acquitted by a magistrate court of obstructing police during the build-up to the 2014 protests.
The obstruction charges stemmed from a protest in which Wong and three others set fire to an large cardboard prop representing a “white paper” policy document issued by China’s communist leaders which proclaimed Beijing had “complete jurisdiction” over Hong Kong.
Wong is also the secretary-general of Demosisto, a political party made up of student activists that advocates self-determination, but is not pushing for independence from China in the short term.
Additional reporting by Associated Press