Hong Kong leader says police showed ‘restraint’ in Mong Kok riot
Share this on

Hong Kong leader says police showed ‘restraint’ in Mong Kok riot

HONG KONG Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying has said police exercised the “greatest degree of restraint in handling the situation” following Tuesday morning’s violent clashes on the streets of Mong Kok.

He condemned the actions of the protesters, vowing that they would be arrested. In addition to damaging public property and committing arson, he accused them of throwing bricks and other projectiles at police officers, “including those who had already been injured and were lying on the ground.”

“I believe the public can see for themselves from TV news reports the seriousness of the situation,” he said.

SEE ALSO: Dozens injured as police, protesters clash in Hong Kong

Defending the actions of the police, he said officers had to act accordingly, given the intensity of the attacks they faced from protesters.

“Compared to other major cities in the world, the police has shown the greatest degree of restraint in handling the situation.”

Leung said the city’s Lunar New Year firework display would proceed as scheduled tonight.

Here’s a video of his press statement:

https://youtu.be/b_Zv_oybrPE

On Twitter, some had already been questioning if the police did indeed show the proper amount of restraint.

Meanwhile, calm and some sense of normalcy has returned to Mong Kok district.