Jakarta police say attack has ended; 7 confirmed dead
Share this on

Jakarta police say attack has ended; 7 confirmed dead

INDONESIAN police say the bombing and gun attack in a busy shopping area of downtown Jakarta has ended with five assailants confirmed dead.

Jakarta police spokesman Col. Muhammad Iqbal says two other people have also been killed in the Thursday morning attack around the Sarinah shopping mall, the oldest in Jakarta on Thamarin Street.

He said: “We believe there are no more attackers around Sarinah. We have taken control.”

SEE ALSO: ‘We are not afraid’: Indonesians show solidarity on social media

He said two of the attackers have been were killed by police but did not say how the others died.

It’s not clear if any more attackers are at large outside the Sarinah area.

Police had earlier said four attackers and three others were killed but later revised the numbers.

One foreigner is believed to be among those killed. Local outlet Republika included one “expatriate” among a list of the dead it published Thursday afternoon.

The Netherlands’ foreign minister said that a Dutch man has been seriously wounded in the Jakarta attack.

Foreign Minister Bert Koenders says the attack shows that “terrorism can hit everybody. Whether you are shopping in the heart of Paris, in a New York office or on vacation in Jakarta.”

A ministry spokeswoman says that the Dutch citizen was undergoing surgery. She spoke on condition of anonymity in line with ministry policy.

The ministry did not release the man’s identity.

Jakarta-Attacks-January14-1024x702

Bodies are seen as a police officer walks near a police post damaged by an explosion in Jakarta, Indonesia, Thursday. Pic: AP.

Indonesian President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who is on a working visit in West Java town of Cirebon, has ordered security forces to hunt down the perpetrators and their network behind the attacks in Jakarta.

Jokowi said: “I have received reports some time ago about the explosion in Thamrin street Jakarta. We express condolence to those who became victims, but we all also condemn the attack that caused restlessness among the community.”

Jokowi says he was cutting short his visit and retuning to the capital.

SEE ALSO: Starbucks closes Jakarta outlets ‘until further notice’

Some media outlets reported that there were as many as 10-14 gunmen on the streets of Jakarta earlier.

One Jakarta police spokesman said it had received a threat from Islamic State in December that there would be a “concert in Jakarta”, ABC journalist Samantha Hawley tweeted.

Screen-Shot-2559-01-14-at-1.45.44-PM

Image via Google Maps.

Some witnesses reported up to seven separate explosions, while gunshots were heard after the midmorning explosion Thursday in front of the Sarinah shopping mall in an area that also has many luxury hotels, embassies and offices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cwe1q96OM

A U.N. regional representative in Jakarta, Jeremy Douglas, tweeted that a massive explosion in front of the U.N. office in the Indonesian capital has been followed by at six other blasts and gunfire.

He said police and broadcasting announcements for people to stay away from windows.

This tweet shows police in a gun battle with attackers:

Witnesses said three suicide bomb explosions took place at a Starbucks cafe in downtown Jakarta.