Australia: PM says hostage taker was ‘deeply disturbed’
Share this on

Australia: PM says hostage taker was ‘deeply disturbed’

SYDNEY (AP) — Australia’s prime minister says the gunman who took hostages in a Sydney cafe was “a deeply disturbed individual’ known to the police but he was not on a terror watch list.

Tony Abbott said Tuesday that Man Haron Monis, who died in a police raid along with two hostages, “certainly had been well known to the Australian Federal Police … but I don’t believe that he was on a terror watch list at this time.”

READ MORE: The aftermath: Australian public reaction to the Sydney siege

Abbott spoke after laying flowers at a makeshift memorial in Sydney for the victims of a central city cafe siege.

He laid a bouquet of white flowers at the memorial in Martin Place while his wife Margie laid a bouquet of red flowers. Abbott also wrote a message and waved at the crowd.

READ MORE: Australia searches for answers after Sydney hostage tragedy