The SOAS-led consortium “Sustainable Funding for Language-based Area Studies”, funded by the HEFCE Postgraduate Support Scheme with match-funding from SOAS, has a scholarship fund of £460,000 to award in 2014-15.
These scholarships are available for 2-year full-time MA programmes dealing with the Arab World, China, Japan, Korea and South Asia. One-year (£20,000) and two-year (£40,000) scholarships will be available. The scholarships will cover fees at the Home/EU level plus a contribution to maintenance costs. These awards, funded by the HEFCE Postgraduate Support Scheme, have been established to boost the skill set of UK graduates aiming to pursue high-level careers in business, government, NGOs, media, or academia with reference to a number of crucial areas in today’s world.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply applicants must:
- have a first class or 2:1 honours degree from a UK university or equivalent
- apply for admission to pursue a relevant Master’s programme – please see the list of the eligible programmes
- qualify for Home/EU fees status and be ordinarily resident in the UK or EU.
- Applicants for Arabic, Korean, and South Asian Studies (including Nepali) do not require prior knowledge of these languages, but previous experience in studying foreign languages is normally required.
- Applicants for Chinese Studies must have at least intermediate-level proficiency in Mandarin (HSK Level 4).
- Applicants for Japanese must have intermediate-level proficiency in Japanese (500 kanji, 220 study hours).
How to apply:
- Apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form.
- Applicants must also have submitted a complete on-line application for admission to a relevant 2-year programme.
Deadline: 14 July 2014