KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia’s leader says a Chinese tourist and a Filipino worker have been rescued nearly two months after they were abducted from a resort off Borneo island.
Prime Minister Najib Razak said in tweets late Friday that no ransom was paid and credited their release to cooperation between Malaysian and Philippine security forces.
Gunmen, believed to be Abu Sayyaf militants, kidnapped the 28-year-old Shanghai woman and the Filipino from the Singamata Reef Resort in the eastern Malaysian state of Sabah on April 2. They were believed to have taken to the southern Philippines.
Najib didn’t give further details, and officials couldn’t be immediately reached for comment. Malaysian officials earlier said a ransom of 500 million pesos ($11.4 million) had been demanded for the Chinese woman.