Australia maintains ban on Huawei amid security concerns
Share this on

Australia maintains ban on Huawei amid security concerns

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s new government has decided to maintain a two-year-old ban on Chinese tech giant Huawei from working on the nation’s high-speed broadband network.

Attorney General George Brandis said in a statement on Tuesday the conservative government elected last month has received briefings from national security agencies on the ban. He declined to detail the reasons for keeping it in place.

“As a matter of long-established practice, the government does not comment on advice from the national security agencies,” Brandis said in the statement.

The previous center-left Labor Party government banned the Australian subsidiary of Huawei Technologies Ltd. in late 2011 from tendering for work on multi-billion dollar National Broadband Network based on security concerns. The then-conservative opposition criticized the ban and vowed to review the decision in government.

Huawei Australia Chairman John Lord has maintained his company poses no threat and complained that the reasons for the ban were never explained.

Lord argues the company’s international reputation has been damaged by the U.S. House Intelligence Committee report last year that concluded Huawei and fellow Chinese technology provider ZTE Corp. posed national security threats to the United States.