Le Cordon Bleu News, 04/30/2013
In The News
Technique: Preparing and cooking green asparagus
To successfully prepare and cook green asparagus, follow the Le Cordon Bleu Chefs technique!
1. Snap off the pale woody ends of the asparagus, discard. Rinse the asparagus under cold water. Carefully peel away the rough skin from the bottom half of the spears with a vegetable peeler.
2. Trim away the spiky leaves from the flower ends of the spears with the tip of a small knife. (If you only want the asparagus tips, cut them now).
3. Tie the asparagus into small bundles.
4. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the asparagus for 3 – 6 minutes (depending on size) until tender/al dente.
5. Transfer the asparagus to cold water immediately in order to maintain their green color.
White asparagus must be peeled before cooking (from the middle downwards, using a vegetable peeler). The cooking time of white asparagus is twice as long as that of green asparagus.
For more information
Le Cordon Bleu Paris
+33 (0) 1 53 68 22 50
8, rue Léon Delhomme
Find out more…
The Paris Campus
Recipe: Asparagus trio
Asparagus is one of the ingredients that marks the start of the warmer months, and May is the perfect time to enjoy all of the different varieties of this vegetable that France has to offer. Simple to prepare and delicious, this asparagus trio recipe will be the star of any springtime meal.
As springtime steadily approaches, seasonal ingredients start to appear in French markets. However, they will only be available for a few months, and so it’s a great idea to make the very best of them.