SHATEC, the Singapore International Hotel and Tourism College, is one of the most prominent institutions of Hotel and Tourism. Based in Singapore, the Institute imparts knowledge and skills with the aim to develop and enhance creativity, enterprise and the attitude to excel in the students desiring to venture into the hospitality and tourism industry.
This College is associated with the Singapore Hotel Association. Established in 1983, the college enrolls over 600 full-time students every year. In order to ensure individual attention to the students, the college maintains a student teacher ratio of 30:1.
SHATEC is one of the largest hospitality institutes in Asia, stretching over a vast space of more than 9,000 sq. meters. It provides training through its main campus in Bukit Batok as well as its three other satellite-training centers in town.
Some of its key features are:
- Its training module, service and methodology is recognized not just by other universities but also by governments and industry
- Singapore Tourism Board and the Singapore International Hotel and Tourism College has worked together in close associating in the sphere of human resource development in Myanmar and Vietnam
- The World Gourmet Summit Electrolux Culinary Institution of the Year Award was awarded to SHATEC for 4 years
- The College delivered programs for the United Nations Development Program besides generating manuals for European Community projects in human resource development
- The Most Outstanding Contribution to Tourism award was given by the Singapore Tourism Board to the College in the year 1992
The College offers six programs namely Diploma in Culinary Skills, Diploma in Hotel Management, Diploma in Pastry and Baking, Diploma in Tourism Management, Higher Diploma in Hospitality Management and SHATEC certificate in Hotel and Restaurant Operations.
The facilities on campus are top notch and those that have studied there speak of SHATEC very favorably. In order to offer specialization in a number of areas, the college groups it’s institutes into the following areas: Hosting, Leisure and Tourism, Lodging, Restaurants and Bars, Wines and Spirits, Culinary Arts, Pastry and Baking. This means that whatever area you want to study in the field of Hospitality and Tourism, SHATEC can offer you the environment to excel in.