Smoked salmon wrapped poached egg, baby spinach salad and grain mustard vinaigretteBy Le Cordon Bleu Australia Mar 02, 2013 4:36AM UTC
Le Cordon Bleu News, 03/01/2013
About this recipe
The classic combination of smoked salmon and egg creates a uniquely presented light lunch or starter.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
In this recipe:
scallions (spring onions)
baby spinach leaves
4 extra fresh eggs, 15 ml white wine vinegar, coarse salt, 400 g sliced smoked salmon, Coarse-grained mustard Vinaigrette, 20 g coarse-grained mustard, 20 ml sherry, vinegar, salt, white pepper, 60 ml olive oil, Baby spinach salad, 2 scallions (spring onions), finely sliced 200 g baby spinach leaves, washed 50 g capers 5 sprigs tarragon, leaves removed Decoration, 20 g salmon roe, 4 caper berries
- Poached eggs: Remove the eggs from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Fill a large, wide saucepan three-quarters full of water and generously season with white vinegar and coarse salt. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer. Break the eggs one at a time into a ramekin then slip the eggs into the simmering water.
Note: The rising bubbles will prevent the eggs from sticking to the bottom of the pan and will also help the whites envelop the yolks. When the whites begin to coagulate, use a skimmer to help them wrap firmly around the yolks. Poach the eggs for about 3 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still very soft. Gently remove them from the hot liquid with a skimmer and transfer to an ice bath to cool. Once cooled, trim off any loose whites and transfer the eggs to a towel-lined tray.
- Coarse grained mustard vinaigrette: In a bowl combine the mustard, sherry vinegar, salt and white pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil a little at a time.
- Baby spinach salad: Combine the baby spinach with half the scallions, capers and tarragon leaves (set aside leaves for presentation). Lightly dress with some of the vinaigrette.
- Cut 4 disks measuring 11 cm in diameter from the sliced smoked salmon and set aside (making sure to keep large pieces to wrap the eggs). Season each egg and wrap neatly in smoked salmon.
- To serve: Place a reserved disk of smoked salmon in the center of a plate. Arrange salad and top with smoked salmon wrapped poached egg. Arrange the remaining scallions, capers, tarragon leaves and vinaigrette in a circle around the salmon. Decorate with salmon roe and a caper berry.
Find out more…
Soft-centered chocolate cake, strawberry coulis and caramelized pistachios
This molten chocolate dessert is the ultimate in decadence to impress your loved one this Valentine’s day.
Langoustine phyllo pastry rolls, basil, mango and ginger chutney
Delight your senses with this creative recipe – a daring combination of the delicate taste of langoustines with exotic-flavored chutney.
Saffron poached halibut fillet, baby vegetables and aioli
Poaching halibut in a saffron-infused stock creates a vibrant dish that is delicately infused. This light dish is completed with the contrasting texture of baby vegetables and the zing of the aioli sauce.
Smoked salmon wrapped poached egg, baby spinach salad and grain mustard vinaigrette by Le Cordon Bleu International BV, all rights reserved