Malaysia confirms citizen killed in AlgeriaBy AP News Jan 23, 2013 3:53PM UTC
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia’s government says one of its citizens has been confirmed killed in the terrorist takeover of a natural gas plant in Algeria. Another Malaysian man remains missing.
Five Malaysians were working at the plant attacked by al-Qaida-affiliated militants in the Sahara Desert last week. Three were reported safe when the militants’ bloody four-day standoff with Algerian special forces ended.
Malaysia’s foreign ministry said in a statement Wednesday it had confirmed the death of one man and was working with Japanese engineering firm JGC Corp. to have his body flown home.
Two of the Malaysian survivors are expected to return soon. One has volunteered to remain in Algiers to help embassy officials search for his missing colleague.
Thirty-seven hostages and 29 militants were killed. Five foreign workers remain unaccounted for.