CHITTAGONG, Bangladesh (AP) — An official says a fire at an apartment building in southeastern Bangladesh has killed all five members of a family.

Fire official Farid Ahmed says the victims — three children and their parents — suffocated after smoke filled their room while they were asleep in the three-story building in Chittagong. He says the fire early Thursday was caused by an electrical short circuit.

Firefighters evacuated a dozen other residents from the building. The city is 135 miles (215 kilometers) southeast of Dhaka.

Subscribe to Asian Correspondent

Receive our weekly round-up of the most important stories in Asia

We will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.