Most-read Naver.com articles of the week – January 30, 2011By Nathan Schwartzman Jan 30, 2011 10:11AM UTC
1. Police officers wept after hearing the story of the teenage boy they arrested for shoplifting books to study for school. Despite his part-time job in a factory he had to resort to theft because his single, disabled mother is unable to provide enough for the family.
2. Two men accused of sexually assaulting a student committed suicide by drinking poison.
3. An appellate court overturned a 71-year old school security guard’s conviction for sexually molesting a young girl, for which he had been sentenced to 1.5 years in prison. The only evidence in the case had been the girl’s testimony.
4. A couple of teenagers were caught helping themselves to the meat at a galbi joint while the owner was gone.
5. A 52-year old man was sentenced to 7.5 years in prison for repeatedly raping his Vietnamese wife’s sister, who was 18 at the time the assaults began.
6. Nearly 150 people, including a professional baseball player named Goh, were arrested on charges of taking part in illegal races on empty streets at night. Can The Fast and The Furious: Seoul Drift be far away?
7. There are concerns over the falling number of young doctors choosing to be pediatricians.
8. A high-ranking police officer in Daegu beat his mother to death.
9. Five middle-aged men held a protest after feeling ripped off when it turned out the Vietnamese brides they had paid good money for weren’t actually interested marriage but rather having good jobs in Korea.
10. The passing rate for the 2011 public school teacher’s exam was a mere 4%.