The Derby checklist for International studentsBy University of Derby Aug 21, 2014 4:43PM UTC
- Obtain any necessary visa/entry clearance for study in the UK
- Apply for university accommodation as soon as possible
- Arrange your travel and travel insurance. Remember to check your luggage allowance. Prepare to arrive at least 1 week before your induction
- If you are travelling independently to the campuses check your travel plans
- Get a letter from your doctor detailing any regular medication you are on and bring a translation of the letter (if required)
- Have any routine medical checks, recommended vaccinations such as the Tuberculosis screening (if required)
- Speak to your bank; let them know you will be moving to the UK. Order travellers cheques or enough sterling for your first few weeks before departure
- Pack appropriate clothing for your first few weeks in the UK. Remember it can be wet and cold in September.
- Before you leave home give your family and friends the full and correct postal address of either your University accommodation or the Academic School in which you are studying.
The essential to do list before you leave your home country to study abroad…in the UK!
Make sure you have done all the necessary checks before you leave your home country:
If you have chosen to study at the University of Derby, you can be assured you will be well looked after on your arrival at The University of Derby. We have a range of support services to help you settle into life in the UK.
The main thing is to remember you have embarked on an exciting time of your life and to enjoy yourself and fully immerse yourself into the UK life. Studying abroad will give you a competitive advantage and equip you for life’s challenges.