China takes Ebola precautions at Youth OlympicsBy AP News Aug 16, 2014 2:50PM UTC
NANJING, China (AP) — Athletes from the Ebola-affected region of Africa will be stopped from competing in combat sports and aquatic events at the Youth Olympic Games which start Saturday.
The International Olympic Committee issued a statement Friday saying, “We have been reassured by the health authorities that there have been no suspected cases and that the risk of infection is extremely unlikely.”
Sierra Leone’s National Olympic Committee said earlier this week it has been asked not to travel to China, but the IOC says all delegations are welcome, although athletes from the affected region will be subject to regular temperature and physical assessments.
The exclusions from combat sports and aquatic events are only expected to affect three athletes.
More than 1,000 people have died in an ongoing Ebola outbreak in West Africa.