Pacquiao lawyer tells Arum: Free Manny for Mayweather fightBy Edwin Espejo Jan 06, 2014 8:57AM UTC
Lawyer Franklin ‘Jeng’ Gacal Jr on Sunday urged Top Rank’s Bob Arum to make boxing history by freeing Manny Pacquiao from contractual obligations in order for the Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight to happen.
“History is waiting and Bob should free Manny. That would be Bob’s greatest contribution to boxing history,” Gacal, Pacquiao’s lawyer, said in an exclusive interview in his sister’s house where he is undergoing physical therapy.
Gacal suffered a stroke in November leaving the right side of his body paralyzed.
Gacal believes it is the only stumbling block for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight that the world is waiting to happen.
“Kung ‘yun ang kondisyon niya at kung gusto ni Manny – at mukhang gusto ni Manny na labanan si Floyd– ang tanging paraan is no renewal of any contract with Bob Arum. [If that is Floyd’s condition and if Manny agrees – and it looks like Manny will agree to fight Floyd – the only way is not to renew his contract with Bob Arum’s Top Rank.] Manny should be a freelancer for the fight to happen,” Gacal further said.
Gacal is referring to the promotional contract between Top Rank and Pacquiao which is said to expire in December this year.
That could mean a 2015 fight between two of the world’s best welterweights if Pacquiao becomes a freelancer by then.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has repeatedly challenged Pacquiao to break away from Top Rank before he starts negotiations for a mega-fight that could potentially generate a record 3 million PPV buys and gross up to US$200 million.
The long-time lawyer of Pacquiao also said Arum could give way for the fight and agree to a step-aside fee.
“Floyd could agree to Manny hiring Bob on a contractual basis with a fixed fee,” Gacal explained.
He said Floyd may not agree to a full co-promotion with Arum.
If Arum steps aside and Floyd agrees, the fight could happen later this year.
Both Mayweather and Pacquiao are already set to return to the ring in May and April respectively, although no opponent has been named yet for either boxer.
Floyd and Arum had an acrimonious separation after years of working together.
Floyd is under contract with Showtime while Arum has almost exclusively dealt with rival HBO cable network.
But Arum’s son Todd Duboef, also Top Rank president, earlier said they are open to holding the fight on Showtime.
A report recently came out that a September fight has been identified for Mayweather and Pacquiao, but both camps immediately denied the report.
Pacquiao is coming off a successful comeback against Brandon Rios in November last year after an 11-month layoff.