The University of Derby’s FacilitiesBy University of Derby Oct 25, 2013 8:11PM UTC
The University of Derby’s Facilities
In the last five years we have invested over £150million to provide our students with some of the UK’s best facilities. We are proud of our professional, inspiring environment where you can put theory into practice and boost your employability!
Real World Learning Facilities
At the University of Derby we offer real world learning which prepares students for the world of work by giving them the theory and letting them put it into practice in our state of the art facilities such as:
- Our Derby Theatre- allowing students their own theatre to work in, getting a real grasp of acting on stage
- Industry-standard computer labs for our animation and computing students
- A 350-person capacity courtroom
- Our library at the Derby campus, including an ever growing list of books, articles and resources to enable you to research and conduct your work
- We also offer our very own crime scene car and house sites for students taking one of our two Forensics courses, in a fully-monitored facility shared with Derbyshire Constabulary.
- As part of our Health courses, you can take advantage of a simulated hospital and radiography suite equipped with NHS standard clinical areas and the latest diagnostic and simulated learning equipment.
- Students at our Buxton Campus have access to our dedicated, 58-acre Outdoor and Adventure campus building, plus a climbing wall based at our Harpur Hill Sports Centre. Our partnership with the Peak District National Park Sailing Club means you can go canoeing and kayaking in the River Derwent and Combs Reservoir.
The atrium at our Derby campus has various facilities to enable you to comfortably get through your days at university such as:
- Our food court where a range of foods are sold from around the world! Food is served from morning until late evening allowing to you get food around your time table.
- Blackwell’s, our own bookshop will have all the academic material you will need for you course, saving you having to look elsewhere.
- Our Employability and Enterprise Hub will enable students and recent graduates to network with and be mentored by senior business figures, attend exclusive business seminars and workshops, access funding to start-up their own enterprises, gain employment with top level companies and use their skills to help good causes.
- The Students’ Union also runs the student bar, The Academy and coffee shop Blends, which are great places to for you to meet with friends and grab something to eat between lectures.
- Sally Montague (Hair dressers): We also have our very own hair salon which you can use.
Since 2005 we have invested £5.6 million in our sports facilities.
- £500,000 in sports pitch improvements and equipment
- £750,000 in our third generation sports pitch
- £40,000 in two outdoor tennis courts
- £1.2 million refurbishment and extension that includes a new gym facility, sports science laboratory and dance studio
We have developed a wide range of indoor and outdoor facilities, including a state of the art fitness suite.
Most sports can be played on our planned and existing indoor facilities. The-all weather facilities including tennis courts and synthetic 3G pitch provide training and playing facilities for our football, American football and hockey clubs as well as housing the Derby County Development Centre, Derby County Ladies FC and a range of junior community clubs.
Derby Theatre (formerly Derby Playhouse) is a working theatre where our University of Derby Theatre Arts students are based.
The Studio Theatre provides excellent rehearsal space as well as being the ideal forum for our student productions. Previous performances include A Clockwork Orange, Lady Chatterley’s Lover and The Little Shop of Horrors.